Sunday, February 14, 2010

Crazy Quilt - Olympic Dreams


I started this crazy quilt during the 2008 summer Olympics and finished it during the opening ceremonies for the 2010 winter Olympics, so I felt it was appropriate to name this quilt Olympic Dreams. Although it took me a couple years to finish, this quilt was really easy. One of the best things that I love about this quilt is that I only used fabric from my stash. The only thing I had to buy for this quilt was the batting. You can't get any better than that.
  1. First cut 36 blocks of coordinating fabrics to 11 inch squares. (This is a great quilt to use random fabric from your stash.)
  2. The quilt blocks are made by stacking 9 squares of random fabric and cutting them with random cuts using your rotary cutter. Repeat this 4 times until you have 4 unique stacks of blocks.
  3. Once you have cut up the blocks, you rotate the pieces of the blocks until you have a different piece of fabric showing for each piece.
  4. Next, sew the pieces of the block back together in the reverse order that you cut the pieces.
  5. Once all the blocks are sewn back together, arrange the quilt in rows of 5 by 7. You will have one block left over, use it for a pillow or something fun. Sew the blocks into rows and then the rows together.
  6. I used 6 inch strips to add a border to the quilt. Do what ever you like, make it your own.
  7. Layer the quilt backing, batting, and top. Quilt however you desire. I machine quilted my using my regular sewing machine and a free style quilting foot.
  8. Cut binding strips that are 2 1/2 inches wide and long enough to go around you quilt. Bind the quilt.
  9. Enjoy your new crazy quilt.




  • To keep the pieces organized, I took a 12 x 12 piece of paper, traced the block, and numbered the pieces. Then I pinned all of the pieces to the paper. This helps to ensure you keep the blocks in the order you have shuffled them. Place a safety pin the the top layer of each deck.

  • When sewing the pieces back together, sew two pieces of one deck at a time. Don't cut the thread after you finish sewing a couple pieces of a block. Instead keep sewing off of the same pieces until you have created a chain. This helps to keep your pieces in a specific order. The safety pin will help to signify which piece belongs to the top block.

I machine quilted by wandering and placing a random star every once in a while.

FINISHED!!!

1 comment:

  1. Fun!

    I love that you started it and finished it during the Olympics....two years apart. :)

    ReplyDelete